Oh My My, My My, July

July. It's already July. How did that happen?

I dare say, for wader species, they ask themselves the same question.

Saturday morning it was down to Maarintorni, and it had a real start of Autumn feel to it.
No juv Caspian terns yet, but plenty of failed breeding waders on the mud, with Ruff and Wood Sandpipers, the latter of which had been absent on patch for several weeks.

Ruff and every kind of Redshank

The same pair of Common Crane have been resident in the bay all summer, but I have yet to see any juveniles creeping round the grass.


There have been up to 6 Great White Egret on patch all Summer, and it really feels like Ireland in the late 90s as the Little Egret population took hold there. 

The "Jallu Gang"

When you see 6 of them just loafing around you have to ask yourself what they're playing at. If you're not breeding somewhere seems like a waste of time.

Low pressure weather had the water levels high, which pushed the Caspian Terns close. Can't get enough of those monsters.





Caspian Terns - Size really does matter

In the afternoon I made my way to Suomenoja, hoping to spend time with acros, but the wind was too strong, and any I saw or heard kept tight to cover. 

The Slavonian Grebes put on a good show though, with one happily fishing at my feet. Stunners.




I had intended on paying a visit to a local urban Eagle Owl breeding site for a few weeks now, and shots emerging on social media told me that the chicks were close to fledging. 

On Sunday we made our way there for some leisurely birding, picnicking across from the birds, and taking our time to enjoy them with a nice cold beer. Easy birding, and incredible birds. These guys are virtually full grown. Not much more to go here, except for filling out those ear tufts. 

If a Tiger ever took bird form, it would look like this. Monstrous, stunning and intricately beautiful birds.







Look at those talons. Just look!

An enjoyable end to an enjoyable weekend. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Focus On...Taiga And Tundra Bean Geese

How To Be A Rarity Finder

The Irish Rare Birds Committee...The end of days?