The Caspian Cometh





August has rolled around and I was prompted out to both test my new Electric Vehicle (which I love) and try my arm at finding a juv Caspian Gull.


The new girl in my life

I decided to hit Lohja dump, as it would make a good motorway test for the new car.

The dump hadn't scored a Caspian Gull in some time due to various processing changes at that site, so I didn't hold out much hope of success. 

When I reached the food waste building there was only some 20 gulls or so on it. Damn...likely to be a bust. 

Nothing on the west facing roof, so I spun round to the east facing roof. Nothing there either.

A quick 3 point turn, intent on leaving and decided to scan once more...and suddenly, there on the corner of the roof, out of nowhere was a stunner juv Caspian Gull. 😎


Caspian Gull - that's how it's done





Photobomb






Look at that tail - but then...they all have lovely bottoms




The bird showed well when it wasn't being flushed by Goshawks but only hung around about half an hour in total before disappearing completely.

Best of the rest over the past few weeks has been an abundance of migrating waders, bumper numbers of Citrine Wagtail, and running into a glut of early moving Greenish Warblers. 





Greenish Warblers - little gems


Citrine Wagtail 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Field Guide To Birders - 2nd Edition

Scoring Scopoli's - A useful ID pointer and assessment of Irish birds to date

How To Be A Rarity Finder