Rough Weather

I had a brief window for birding this weekend. Saturday morning was really all that was going to be on offer before rain closed in for the rest of the weekend.

I chose to hit Ämmässuo again, figuring it would be a good combo of Gulls, Passerines and Raptors.
I was almost right.

Over the past few days the annual passage of Rough Legged Buzzards has been peaking. I always like to get in on it if it happens to coincide with a weekend.

Ideally the best spot to be for this would be Soukka, but like I said I fancied a mix of birds.
Ämmässuo usually has it's share of Roughies and Saturday was no exception with ~ 17 passing over me in the hour I was there.

Rough Legged Buzzard

Passerines were in reasonable numbers, with good numbers off Chiffs and Willow warblers in the scrub, but a lot of scrambler bike activity made passer bashing difficult.

One Caspian Gull on the nearest roof seemed to be a new bird comparing to shots online, but most of the gulls were miles away on the far side of the dump, on a roof I've never seen them on before, and hope they don't make a habit of frequenting.

Caspian Gull

Nonetheless the 70x earned it's keep, and there were two interesting Caspish-looking birds on that roof. There will be Caspians turning up there for a week or two yet I dare say.

The bikes were annoying so I moved on to Suomenoja. Lots of Willow and Chiffs again, but nothing more interesting than that.

The weather was holding off longer than expected so I moved on to Laajalahti.
Raptor passage was still going strong with good numbers of Roughies and Common Buzzards going through.


Phonescoping is hard - Rough Legged Buzzard



Nearly 4 years on and it still blows my mind tat I live in a place where I can watch dozens of Rough Legged Buzzards go over my house every spring and autumn. Does. Not.Compute.

A distant Hobby could well be my last of the year, and a couple of White Tailed Eagles made up the rest of the raptors.

A good number of juvenile Ruff were still present on the mud, as were large numbers of Barnacle geese and a few Russian Whitefronted.

A single Great White Egret is still present (or a new bird in over the course of the week), with 8 Scaup being the best of the rest. 





A productive few hours all in all. The predicted rain did indeed move in and that was that for the weekend. Here's to better weather next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Focus On...Taiga And Tundra Bean Geese

How To Be A Rarity Finder

The Longest Winter