Gotta Catch Em All 2

Some time ago, I wrote about my Caspian Gull journey, as I endeavour to find all the available plumages of Caspian gull it would be realistic to find here in Finland.

Yesterday was a great day in that journey.

Another visit to Tarastenjärvi, and in early July, too early for juvenile birds to be present, I really wasn't expecting much.

I was wrong! Pleasantly so!


There was one Heuglini type among a good number of Baltics, and then this grey thing (which never really played ball for me and I'm still none the wiser on).

However whilst watching this bird, one of the birds to it's left suddenly woke up, stood up, threw it's wings back into full albatross pose, showing me it's wing pattern, and gave it's long call.

An adult Caspian Gull at last! 😍


Caspian Gull - adult. I finally managed one. And what a bird! Structurally fantastic with a grumpy facial expression. Brilliant!




This finally checks the box for an adult plumage here in Finland, and I'm hoping sparks off finding a few more.

I then picked up this sub adult Caspian, which also entered into some albatross calling!


Caspian Gull - 3CY. Just the second of this age I have found here and was also very enjoyable. 
You can just make out a barred P5 growing in.

Pretty pleased with that! 





Some bluer/grey immature Baltics were also around. These are always interesting.

As always in Finland, you had some other interesting gulls.


Brute



Dark Iris 3CY

Your good old fashioned Omissus type

A pretty great day if I do say so myself. 😎

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Focus On...Taiga And Tundra Bean Geese

The Irish Rare Birds Committee...The end of days?

The Longest Winter