The Lynx Effect 2 - The Lynxening

I'm an early riser. Always have been. But with owning the best dog in the world, I've had to be an even earlier bird, getting in a good walk before heading to work, so not unusual for me to be up between 5.30 and 6.

On the 12th, my alarm went off at 5.30. 
Kuura jumped up on the bed demanding cuddles. All very normal. 

As has become a habit, I began checking through the images from our trail cam. 

I tend to start from the back of the queue, checking the images from the previous evening and working forward through the night.

It was going as expected. Hare. Hare. White-Tailed Deer. Roe Deer. Hare. It was looking as though it was another average night, with not even the recently out of hibernation Racoon-Dogs having made an appearance...until I opened up the very last image. 



Ho. Lee. Fook.

There, glaring out of the screen at me, was a full body image of a stunning, amazing Lynx.

I shook Hanna awake, and realising that the Lynx had been in the garden just a few minutes previously, at 5.18, we ran to the living room windows and began scanning the garden with the flash light. 

Alas, what I believe is a Lady-Lynx had moved on. 

We recovered the memory card from the camera and began absorption of the amazing event. 



Panther-esque - our fantastic feline came up from the lake shore and entered the camera's field of view. Unlike our visit back in late 2019, this time she wasn't chasing prey, and so the camera images were a tad more relaxed and detailed.




She then stopped and stood scanning, presumably wary of the camera. And then she was gone. In which direction we know not. 




A little bit of processing brings out the best of the images. 

Hopefully it won't be too long before she makes another appearance, though I really must stop saying she's visiting "my garden". I mean, just look at her! She's in charge here, and we're just hairless apes that wandered up north. 

Other animals of late include the recently awoken Raccoon-Dogs.

An invasive species, but I do find them endearing.




Raccoon-Dogs


Roe Deer - this buck has been a nightly visitor.



Watership down

This evening I nipped out after work to cash in on some Spring migration. A successful hour produced a mixed flock of Tundra Bean, Greylag, Eurasian White-Fronted and Canada Geese.







Tundra Bean Geese




Whoopers standing head and shoulders.



Several Common Crane moved overhead, giving that amazing call, were my first of the year and a couple of Great Grey Shrike were hunting the fields. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Focus On...Taiga And Tundra Bean Geese

How To Be A Rarity Finder

Summer's End