Gullfest In Tampere

The end of May sees a big bank holiday arise, and a bit of sneaky holiday selection meant I had a 5 day weekend on my plate.

We selected to head up to the Hämeenkyrö summer cottage for the duration, which meant I got to spend some time at Tarastenjärvi dump, as well as the usual grassland and forest sites close to the cottage.

I managed to nip down to the dump for a couple of hours on Wednesday. There had been a couple of 2CY Caspian gulls there, on and off, over the past couple of weeks, and I was looking forward to seeing them in a less familiar plumage for me (naturally all gulls pretty much feck off over the course of a Finnish winter, so no chance to track the usual juvs over the course of their 1st winter).
There had also been a Black Kite reported at the dump that day, another bird I was keen to see. (The Raptors).

The dump was incredibly active with birds when I arrived and I knew it would not be easy with the gulls.

The Black Kite was on show instantly however, coming extremely close on occasion. Brilliant species.



Despite an exhaustive search, I didn't manage either of the Caspian gulls, even though a ringed bird had been seen just an hour prior to me getting there. A large stony hill provides a sleeping roost for the gulls here, and if it's in any way sunny, this becomes a haze trap for sleeping white blobs. Add to that birds are constantly moving to nearby fields and lakes.

I did manage two nice Heuglin's types though (it's mandatory to call them Heuglin's type or "presumed heuglini" or some other notation which tells you we still don't know what the hell is going on with these things, but for simplicity I refer to them as Heuglin's from here on out.)







Heuglin's Gull - 2CY - Heuglin's, for simplicity purposes again, can be divided into two main classes/"morphs" (for lack of a better word), the presumably younger or less advanced "Caspian knock off" (above) and the grottier, grey and brown Lesser Black Back imitation (below).

The Casp imitators are somewhat easier to pick out, those anchor marks appearing in the coverts standing out, though the anchor pattern itself, at a distance can be difficult to discern, the shaft streak does tend to be quite visible.

I find structure to be reasonably consistent regardless of the plumage, with the squat body, small headed version of a casp being the best description I'm able to fumble. The facial impression is often consistent too, being quite stern, frowny and "eyebrowy". The head shape is frequently squared and blocky, with a noticeable forehead bump, though some are more dome headed.






An adult type Heuglin's or LBB type. Other than it's upperparts tone I never saw anything else on it, not even the bill. Zzzzz.

Baltic Gulls, as always, were a staple, providing good views.




Baltic Gull - 3CY - tiny mirror on p10.



Baltic Gull - strong brownish cast to upperparts suggests a level of immaturity, but strong light plays it's part.


2nd CY Baltic Gull - as grotty 1st summer gulls go, Baltic tends to retain a level of beauty and elegance, consistent with it's adult and juv plumages, and denied it's Herring Gull companions.


Baltic Gull - they really can be long and slim.


Baltic Gull - more neutral light reveals just how black those upperparts are. Brighter sunshine tends to bring out reflectance, yielding brown, grey and blue tones.





Baltic Gull - whilst the search image of the small, dainty, long winged and pencil billed females holds true in many cases, they do vary in structure, especially in what are presumably the males. Some are quite stocky and strong billed.


Baltic Gull - fairly broad chested individual.


Baltic Gull - 3CY - same tiny mirrored bird as up-page.



Baltic Gull - from below, the species is incredibly contrasting and long winged, almost tern like. It's not difficult to call a Baltic going over in flight here (relative to other resident gull species).

I managed to get back to the dump when it re-opened on Friday. This time all the Heuglin's were gone, but I did connect with one of the 2CY Caspian gulls which had been present a week earlier.



Caspian Gull - 2CY 





Caspian Gull - 2CY - A beauty and a reasonably straightforward individual, with those greater coverts still showing their juv pattern. It can be a bit more difficult when they have the coverts bleached. This bird, which I saw flap once, still retained a reasonably well marked underwing.


This individual warranted scrutiny. I suspect it has some Casp in it's herritage, but the tail and underwing were entirely at odds with Casp. Interesting nonetheless.




As always, ye olde Baltic Herring Gulls, with their bright yellow legs were also present.


The scrubby areas of the dump produced the usual species I am used to here, namely singing Blyth's Reed Warbler, Common Rosefinch and my first Red Backed Shrike of the year. (a bit late to the game this year).





Common Rosefinch - Great little song.

I then stopped in to Sarkkila for the usual bit of time on the tower here.
My first Honey Buzzards of the year (another late one), with 2 males performing their "Eejit of the sky" display. Great birds.


Whinchat - typical Sarkkila species

As I was leaving, I noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye on the semi-bare field.
I was delighted to raise my bins and find I was looking at a Grey Partridge, a full fat Finnish tick for me.





Grey Partridge is reasonably scarce in Finland. There are some known sites not too far from me where I could go look for them, but as yet have never devoted the time. As always, that scenario is further complicated by gun club releases. A tick, however, remains a tick, Tickity boo.

The rest of the weekend was spent enjoying the grassland, lake and night singing species of the area.
Song flighting Curlew were everywhere. I managed to find a singing quail (always scarce). Little gulls and Red Necked Grebes were present on the lakes, and a night trip produced singing Nightjar, Long Eared Owl, Blyth's Reed and Marsh Warbler, Spotted Crake and Corncrake.


The Joy of Crex

Excellent weekend in beautiful surroundings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Focus On...Taiga And Tundra Bean Geese

How To Be A Rarity Finder

The Irish Rare Birds Committee...The end of days?