Black And Yellow

After a few days of heavy snowfall, I decided to head out west in the hopes of chalking up some year ticks.
I started out with a quick stakeout in the garden, but struggled to add any new species to the Winter garden list.




We have had great success building numbers of birds however, with flocks of ~20 Chaffinch, 40+ Yellowhammer, 6 Tree Sparrow and 20 Bullfinch now visiting.

It was one of those days where things weren't going to go to plan, in a good way.

Leaving the house, I picked up some heavy knocking up the road.
Investigation confirmed the presence of a Black Woodpecker in full beast mode, absolutely devastating a tree.







Better than any wood-chipper


What kind of monster is capable of this?!

I left him in peace to continue his eco-system engineering and headed west. I didn't get far, however, as passing the overpass at Kirkkonummi I noticed an all too familiar shape sitting in the trees. I pulled in and walked back to the overpass, where I enjoyed point blank views of a gorgeous Goshawk.




Choose the form of the destructor!



Note the flared undertail coverts, often seen on the species when perched.



That broad tail, like a roof slate stuck to the back of it.



Wait for those legs.

I carried on west, hoping to connect with the Degerby Hawk Owl again.

It was generally pretty active on the short drive down, with lots of Great Grey Shrike perched up and numerous Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming.

A flyover Woodpigeon was a good winter sighting.

A pair of White Tailed Eagle were over Pikkala, but there was no sign of the Hawk Owl at the usual location in Degerby.

I decided to look around the fields, as Rough Legged Buzzard had been seen recently. 

Again I didn't get far, as driving along the small road past the airfield I noticed the familiar shape of a lark walking on the field to my right.

Any lark in winter is unusual, but I was expecting an overwintering Sky or Woodlark. As I raised my bins, it moved in a skidding fashion which registered just as I focused to see the beautiful Batman symbol face of a Shorelark.

Shorelark is fairly scarce/rare in Finland. There's usually a few around each Winter, mostly at well known sites. Often these sites are extremely uncomfortable for humans. The tops of rubbish dumps/quarries, off shore islands exposed to the full brunt of the Baltic wind. I've lost digits looking for them in the past, so a comfortable low land, roadside site was more than I could ask for.


The Bat Symbol!

Knowing they often travel with company I scanned left, and sure enough there was a second bird. Score! My first self found Shorelarks in Finland and a more than decent scarce to brighten up anyone's day with that stunning plumage.





The Horn!



Highly dependent on this particular plant species.



Black and Yellow.


Call the exorcist!

Never ceases to amaze me how hard and resilient birds can be, yet alone that species can evolve whose entire survival strategy is to inhabit the harshest environments. Brilliant birds.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Focus On...Taiga And Tundra Bean Geese

How To Be A Rarity Finder

The Irish Rare Birds Committee...The end of days?