Wood For The Trees

I didn't have a lot of time on my hands this weekend, so I had to make do with some brief stops for birds I knew to be around.

Saturday I nipped down to Porkkala, hoping to connect with a Great Grey Owl seen in the morning. It had gone by the time I wandered down, but this gorgeous female Three-toed Woodpecker was giving herself up in the car park.



A few White-Tailed Eagles and Goshawks were floating around Saltfjarden, and a pair of Grey-headed Woodpecker were whistling near the golf course.
On Sunday I took the opportunity to see an over-wintering Woodlark in Vantaa, close to Viiki. 

Unfortunately when I showed up it was being pushed around by a few of the "Big lens, No bins" brigade. Two in particular were completely useless, telling me how calm the bird was after they had flushed it. I left the site, taking the dogs to a local dog-park, and returning when things had calmed down.



A bit of patience, and the bird would walk to you. 

And a cracking bird it was too. I don't often see Woodlark like this. They're not uncommon, but their sandy, pine habitat is generally lacking in a variety of birds, so I tend to see them only as they bubble over on migration.


Woodlark - that convergent supercilium.


Woodlark - a clean, crisp little lark.


Woodlark - dumpy and stocky




Woodlark - a species which should, by rights, be turning up in Ireland in Winter too. Learn that call, learn that gizz, and check those fields. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Focus On...Taiga And Tundra Bean Geese

How To Be A Rarity Finder

The Irish Rare Birds Committee...The end of days?