Caught Red Footed

Saturday was a write off this weekend, between a wedding and torrential rain.

Sunday I had planned on catching up with this gorgeous little Juvenile Red Footed Falcon which has been whoring itself over the past week.

Just 25 minutes up road was to good to pass up, and with a general lack of raptors around this autumn, especially in terms of Harriers, I decided this was a better bet than hunting around my usual Pallid sites.

I wasn't disappointed. 

What an absolute little stunner. I had only ever seen 1 Juvenile in Finland before, a distant migrating bird. Even in the Middle East I've never seen a juv like this. completely oblivious to the many birders visiting, it was happy to hawk insects around people, often pouncing on bugs just feet in front of me.

As tallies go, I haven't actually seen as many juvenile Red Foots as I would like, and had always wanted to see one like this, where you could actually appreciate the plumage up close and personal. Adorable creature.








Red Footed Falcon



Also in the area was a juv Goshawk, pleny of Tree and Red Throated Pipits, and a dark Juv Honey Buzzard.

From here it was on towards home, stopping off at a regular spot for Great Snipe in September. A quick walk into the grass and 1 lifted and bee-lined to the other side of the field. 

I keep hoping some fields I like nearby will be ploughed soon, as it can be good for Gulls then, but the late season has seemingly affected the farming too.

It's a good time of year to see moose though as they often cross grain fields. Scary beasts when they cross the road in front of you though. A family of 3 today was a good haul. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Focus On...Taiga And Tundra Bean Geese

The Irish Rare Birds Committee...The end of days?

The Longest Winter