Steppe Up 2

 A September catch up post. 

It was notable to see big movements of Nutcracker going through Finland. I didn't personally see any of the major double or triple digit counts around the place, but a flock of 8 going over the house was a record count for the homestead. 

Our resident pair remain in situ and are eternally welcome.


Nutcracker - "Pole Dancing" as my wife refers to him.





Over the course of the month I managed to find a few more Pallid Harriers as well as enjoy raptor migration in general 





Pallid Harrier - I picked this bird up high over Saltfjärden 




Goshawk - Juv - good numbers of these as usual 

A trip up to Hämeenkyrö allowed for a morning birding at Tarastenjärvi. This was decidedly damp, but nonetheless produced several Rustic Bunting, Common Rosefinch and hordes of migrating Northern Long-Tailed Tit.

On the gull front I managed to pull out one Caspian Gull, but this was decidedly hard work in the persistent drizzle and the site really is decreasing in terms of numbers. 








Caspian Gull - 1CY - This bird took a bit of time. Only viewable from a certain angle and distance on a facility roof, getting the features I wanted to see required patience. Ther tertials were lovely, as were any retained juv plumage that was in a condition worthy to assess, but the relatively light looking Greater Coverts had me worried. Eventually I saw these well enough to allay concerns, and it flapped for me giving the underwing and tail. The new feathers coming through were also nice. Another Caspian for the finds list.

As we had left Kirkkonummi on Friday a much desired species for me, a Steppe Eagle was found down at Saltfjärden. Frustrating.

However, it stayed put and so when I got back down on Sunday, I took a quick spin to see it.





Steppe Eagle - views were distant but enjoyable. Over 10 years since I've seen this species in the middle east. One I would absolutely love to find here. Look at that gape line. 


Great Grey Shrikes have been pouring in and I am seeing multiples on every trip out.




Great Grey Shrike

Two Black Tern were found on our lake which proved a welcome garden tick and the influx of gulls that came with it provided another chance to catch some Caspian Gulls in my bay. 










Caspian Gull - 2CY - the first bird I picked up was this stonking 2CY. I see far fewer older plumages of Caspian Gull compared to juvs and this one just immediately jumped out. I have rarely seen such an obvious bird. A real beauty.




Next up was a very nice 1CY Caspian Gull, again a very obvious one.




Both birds together 





Caspian Gull - 1 CY



A stop off in Helsinki to check in with the long staying Caspian Gull there provided wonderful views.








Caspian Gull - Helsinki's star long stayer

Whilst watching this bird, I picked up another Caspian way out in the bay. It took some time to nail, but once the suomenlinna ferry made a pass it gave solid flight views for ten minutes or so showing off a wonderful tail and underwing. 



Caspian Gull - a new bird in the city. Sadly the best I managed on it.




Grey-Headed Woodpecker have made themselves known in the garden again after a notable summer absence.


Peregrine Falcon - the final good bird of the month. An attempt to go gulling on the lake was scuppered by this beast which came milling through the flock. I managed to pick the bird out sitting up in a tree in the distance and this was the best I managed on it. A reasonable scarcity in Finland and always good to find. Was just raging I didn't manage it on the garden list. 

A really great month of birding.

Comments