Lifer-Tastic

I'm really enjoying migration at the moment. We currently have huge numbers of geese constantly migrating over, flocks of Brambling and Chaffinch hundreds strong in fields, and raptors such as Goshawk, Rough-Legged Buzzard and Golden Eagles in the skies.

On Sunday I made my way down in late morning to Saltfjarden. It had been heavy rain all morning, but was due to clear, so I figured it would be good for dropping stuff.

As I drove in, the first fields had a huge mixed flock of Brambling and Chaffs which were so actively feeding they allowed me to exit the car and scope them. 




A large mixed flock of Tundra Bean, Eurasian White-Fronted and Barnacle geese was also present in the fields behind them.



Tundra Bean Goose

I carried on, taking a look at what I call "The Pallid lane" (ever since my wife found a 2nd cal male Pallid here years back). There was a fair sized flock of Reed Bunting here on the embankment and I was hoping one of the rarer buntings might join them, but no such luck. 

Another huge flock of geese was being harassed on a regular basis by a juv Goshawk.

As the drizzle started to stop, I picked up a raptor flying head on at me in the middle of a small flock of geese. It's flight action caught my attention straight away and I raised my bins to confirm my suspicion. A Peregrine Falcon.





Peregrine is a good scarcity here. I usually only find one or two a year, mostly in autumn, so quite happy with this.

I then made my way to the car park as things were brightening a bit. 

The geese were constantly moving about due to the various raptors and it was really enjoyable to observe and ID them in flight.


Tundra Bean Geese - I find Bean Geese to be very heavy jawed in flight, with a more prominent narrowing of their neck compared to Eurasian White-Fronted.


Tundra Bean Geese with Eurasian White-Fronted Goose











Eurasian White-Fronted Goose (left) and Tundra Bean Goose (right) - and excellent chance for direct comparison. Note the massively different proportions. WF geese are short arses, with practically nothing in the rear end, giving them a very rotund, beer-bellied appearance. Their neck is shorter and sturdier, with no trace of a kink. The wing is narrower, with more obvious differentiation between arm and hand. Tundra Bean goose has the more obvious jaw, and often a snooty, turned up appearance to the bill. With a longer body and longer rear, giving the body shape an over all sleeker look.






From here I made my way back to the fields in search of Geese and passerines.

Whilst looking through the flocks I thought I heard a possible "tic bunting" behind me. The field in question had a few Meadow Pipits and Yellowhammers flicking in it, so I decided to give it a walk.

As I approached the field, a small flock of Woodlark got up, pursued by said Yellowhammers.





Woodlark - or mini-Bataleur if you prefer. I was well pleased with finding these, as I don't often find Woodlark on the deck on migration. They went back and forth around the field giving that beautiful little lulula call.

As I continued to walk the field, making my way up a flattened area of cut vegetation a few meters from the field edge, a Pipit got up from beside the sycamores and bushes and started calling. "spss spss".

Holy Shit! It made it's way south, flying past me and allowing a brief bins view and showing a very strong face pattern, and giving a few more of instances of the soft call. Olive-Backed Pipit!

The bird flew over the road, and veered right towards another small copse, but this was beside farm buildings and the field between had what looked like a viable crop in it, so I retired to the café at matilapuoti to listen to a few calls online. Quite happy with what I heard, I put the news out and celebrated my lifer with coffee and food!

Like any of the eastern vagrants, Olive-Backed Pipit is always something I've had on my mind since moving here as, obviously, Finland gets more of these than Ireland.

A few years back, when we lived in the city, I did have a bird go over giving a call that sounded good, but never saw it, though a late October date bode well.

These are the sort of thing that usually turns up at some observatory island, often in a net, so I was delighted to find it in this manner. 

After my celebratory refreshments I carried on back to Saltis. This chesty juv Goshawk was terrifying geese at the Pipit site.



Goshawk - monstrous

While at the car park raptors were now up and about in both number and variety.



Rough-Legged Buzzard

Several Rough-Legged Buzzard floated through, including this one above. 

Goshawks also went through in numbers.



Goshawks - juvs - absorb that structure whenever you can.

And then a big target of the day showed up, a juvenile Golden Eagle.


Golden Eagle - Juv. What an absolute stunner. Seeing them this well is something that rarely ever happens in Ireland and one of the joys of birding here is having birds like this on my doorstep in Autumn and often through the Winter.


The garden has been doing well over the week too, with only our second Long-Tailed Duck present for a couple of days in the bay. Massively common in the coast...not so much in inland lakes.



Long-Tailed Duck - Always a treat.


Long-Tailed Duck

A pretty enjoyable week all in all. Plenty of October to go, so fingers crossed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Focus On...Taiga And Tundra Bean Geese

The Irish Rare Birds Committee...The end of days?

How To Be A Rarity Finder