Pallid At Last

It has been a relatively poor Autumn for Pallid Harriers so far and I had been getting somewhat antsy that I may have my first Autumn here without seeing one.

I had made a couple of attempts to connect with an adult male at Myrans in Siuntio, but it's incredibly wide ranging and unreliable and despite looking through half a dozen each of Hen Harrier and Marsh Harrier, I failed every time.


Marsh Harrier - chocolate goodness.

I switched from Myrans to the ever reliable Saltfjarden when one showed up there, and it didn't disappoint.



Bluethroat - with showery conditions I expected some migrants to have dropped. Scanning the fields, I instantly picked up a passerine sat up on reeds. A quick scope revealed a beautiful first year male Bluethroat. Absolute class.
 

 Bluethroat - that tail!


Yellow Wagtail

Good numbers of Yellow wags and Tree Pipits were moving over, and several Red-Throated Pipits calling regularly from the fields. I love this time of year, when such species, which you would love to have on any Irish headland, are absolutely everywhere. 






Common Buzzard - Pale juvenile - lots of raptors moving, including Honey and Rough-Legged Buzzard, but this pale Common was a treat.

It was then time for some Pallid goodness.

From the tower, I picked up two harriers rise up from behind the tree line to the east. Though distant, one was obviously a hen, the second slim, and deep orange, one of the other two ring-tailed species.

As they began to soar closer, eventually details became clear, with the bird finally banking to show a nice collar and boa. Pallid at last!



Pallid scenes - the bird eventually came down at the far side of the marsh and began hunting. I've always loved the habitat at Saltfjarden, and harriers suit the landscape perfectly.







Pallid Harrier - what a beauty!
 

 Pallid Harrier - that incredible, bouncy, tern like flight.

It would, however, take a second visit a couple of days later to get better views.





Pallid Harrier - it doesn't get better than this.

The bird did several laps of the fields giving excellent scope views as it did so. My annual fix achieved. I was almost getting the shakes not seeing one.




Common Cranes - plenty of these dinosaurs staging in the fields, lending their amazing voice to the atmosphere.

A further 3 Bluethroat were on the fields, along with numerous Yellow Wagtail, Tree pipit, Red-Throated pipit and Whinchat.

A late, and seemingly recently fledged Red-Backed Shrike gave itself up along the track, giving me possibly the best shots I've ever taken of the species.












 
Red-Backed Shrike - coming soon to a headland near you!


Red-Backed Shrike - 4K video

Meanwhile, back at the old homestead, Red-Throated Pipit, a long overdue addition to the garden list finally fell into place.

We are also regularly hearing and seeing Black Woodpecker now we are into Autumn.





Black Woodpecker - realistically this guy comes through the garden once or twice a day, though we don't always catch him doing so. On this occasion I happened to twig him gliding in. My wife's camera was nearby and so I grabbed some pics through the window. Another excellent bird to be proud of in your garden list.

A rather nice start to September I have to say. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Focus On...Taiga And Tundra Bean Geese

The Irish Rare Birds Committee...The end of days?

How To Be A Rarity Finder