Winds Of Change

A long over due shift in wind direction, combined with the start of May, finally saw a new range of migrants arrive.

A couple of Lesser White-Fronted Geese were in striking distance for several days now, and having only seen one previously I made my mind up to try for them

I set the GPS for the site one had been seen the previous day, but as I came to the off-ramp from the main road I saw a large flock of geese flying east towards the site 

Google maps took me along a number of smaller roads and as I came down a hill, several kilometers from the target location, there was a flock of geese on the left. 

I stopped to check them out, finding two Pink-Footed Geese in the flock, a nice surprise.



Pink-Footed Goose

Not seeing any Lesser, I made my way to the site from yesterday. Nothing. A few previous sites. Nothing. 

I decided to go back to the flock I had found. I knew from the terrain I hadn't seen all the geese, so maybe they had shifted around a bit.

From the original spot, I again picked up the two Pink-Footed Geese and about four Taiga Bean Geese to boot.

No lesser, so I took another turn off, bringing me to another viewpoint at the back of the flock. Looking down into the valley, I picked up a little pink billed gem. An adult type bird.











As it always seems to be in Finland, the weather is either brutally cold, or horrifically hazy. But I really enjoyed digging out this bird. Finding Lesser White-Fronted among a throng of geese is difficult at the best of times, but today was a real challenge. 

Migrants noted around the area included many hirundines and my first Hobby of the year.

From Tuusula I made my way south to Viiki, stopping in to see an Isabelline Wheatear which had been found there yesterday.

This bird was a little easier to find, with a number of twitchers spaced out around the edge of the field, but extreme haze was an issue.



Isabelline Wheatear - a particularly buffy individual. 



That upright stance 



Isabelline Wheatear

I didn't give Viiki much time otherwise, knowing that poor weather was on it's way. I made my way around Keha I to Laajalahti, where a Marsh Sandpiper had been present. This I missed, unfortunately, but I was well compensated with a host of year ticks, including Wood Warbler, Ruff, Wood Sandpiper, Great White Egret, Greenshank and Spotted Redshank.

Sunday we made a quick trip to Saltfjarden but migration was a bit on the slow side. That said, I did find a migrating Great White Egret which was nice.

Over the past week, the garden has seen a jump in new species, hitting 101 for our Covid-List at time of writing, with Pied Flycatcher back in residence.



This Black Woodpecker also paid a visit midweek, giving amazing views as it foraged on the ground.





Those feet and bill.


That incredible crimson crown.





A true dinosaur.


An excellent week of birding under the belt. More to come as May goes on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Focus On...Taiga And Tundra Bean Geese

The Irish Rare Birds Committee...The end of days?

The Longest Winter