Fields Of Gold

I've been off the past couple of weeks on Paternal leave, as we acclimate Lyra to Kindergarten. This has meant more than normal levels of free time for a bit of sneaky birding here and there.

I paid a couple of visits over the last week to Lohja dump, hoping to repeat my success with Caspian Gulls. I wasn't having much luck...until today.

In a virtual repeat of the same time last year, I rounded the corner on the hill to see a small group of gulls on the waste building roof, raised my bins, and the first bird I saw was a smasher of a Casp.



Moody, damp Caspian Gull.

I took a quick record shot, and hopped out to scope it, but just as I got focused on it, a truck rolled in and all the birds flushed, the bird in question showing a gleaming white underwing. 

The gulls didn't return, so I made my way down to the thrash pile. There was no immediate sign of the bird, and I started to worry it had fecked off. It suddenly appeared out of nowhere, however, standing head and shoulders above the herrings and gleaming white.



A big boy


Snouty


Quite leafy fringing to the scaps, as opposed to the more "classic" plain fringe.


Crisp


Trying to be elegant, but just seeming lanky and awkward.


That aforementioned gleaming, colgate white underwing.


And a truly classic tail.


The full monty.


After it's initial appearance, the bird spent the majority of it's time on the waste bins, not even budging when bin trucks came by it.


A beauty. One of the more attractive individuals I've seen I reckon.







"The floor is lava!"


I was always more of a leg man myself.

Otherwise birding has been about enjoying the start of the autumn migration.


Big skies at Myrans. These Golden fields were loaded with migrating Tree Pipit, Whinchat, Red Backed Shrike and Marsh Harriers.


Marsh Harrier


Red Backed Shrike - these seem to be everywhere at the moment.

Yesterday I spent a bit of time at Saltfjarden hoping to find some Pallid Harriers. I was unsuccessful in that regard, but did manage to find two Great White Egret flying from the car park.



Distant digiscope from the car park.

I decided to wander down to the tower for better views.


Great White Egrets 

Common Crane are now congregating, waiting to start their migration.


Common Crane


Honey Buzzards are also moving.


Sugar, Aww Honey, Honey.


The garden has been hopping lately as migration takes off.

Caspian Terns have been in the bay most mornings, giving that amazing "Rausk" call as begging juveniles whistle after them.




Caspian Tern - I still can't get my head around having these from my garden.

My garden has a magic fence. This fence has been responsible for producing most of the better passerines on our garden list.

Yesterday it was exceptionally active, alive with Warblers and Flycatchers.



Lesser Whitethroat


Wood Warbler - one bird in with 20 or so Willow Warbler.


Willow Warbler


Families of Spotted Flycatcher and Pied Flycatcher were present.


Pied Flycatcher

The star bird in the garden was this Icterine warbler, only the 2nd/3rd we've had.


Icterine Warbler




Stunner


That primary projection




Those beautiful blue legs.


The variation in posture and head shape.


Not a bad garden bird at all. Hopefully the Pallid Harriers show up soon. Word is they haven't done too well breeding in Finland this year. With any luck they did better further east.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Focus On...Taiga And Tundra Bean Geese

The Irish Rare Birds Committee...The end of days?

How To Be A Rarity Finder