Into The Trees

June and pretty much everything that should be back is back. It was time for me to hit some old forest in search of Red Breasted Flycatcher and Greenish Warbler.

I headed south to Porkkala, and an hour or so strolling through the woods produced several of each singing.

Being old forest meant that these birds were generally high overhead and flitting actively, but one immature male RB Fly did give good phone-scoping opportunities.

 
 



 

 



2 CY Red Breasted Flycatcher - RB fly breeds in it's second year, before they have obtained their full adult plumage. You can just about make out a buff colouration on the throat of this bird.


It's a pretty little song too.


After the early start, and having skipped my morning coffee, I was crashing somewhat, so I made my way to a nearby seaside Cafe and enjoyed a late breakfast watching Caspian Tern and eider. 




 

I don't function without caffeine anymore. I make no excuses for the sugar. The Finnish "Rinkkimunkki" is a delicacy, laced with cardamom. Being a new cafe on my list I had to try in order to report back to the boss.


It was then on to Sunds, where I was delighted to find two pairs of Red Backed Shrike in close proximity to each other, including this singing male, not a song I hear too often.

 





Red Backed Shrike - Male


Male Red-Backed Shrike in song - As I said, I don't hear this too often, mostly due to the fact that it is not the most powerful and far carrying song in my opinion. Sounds somewhere between a finch and a sylvia warbler. Subtle, but sweet.


Sunds also produced Wryneck, which I've been finding it hard to connect with this year, and Common Rosefinch.



Common Rosefinch - When they're raspberry red they truly are a treat, especially if they show well for you, which is not always guaranteed. I often find them to be quite shy, often flying off some distance when they see you, even if they're on top of very tall trees. 

Sundsin tower was pretty quiet, with just a few White Tailed Eagle and Hobby, along with the usual torrent of singing Wood Warbler and Tree Pipit.

Saltis was also on the quiet side, again with a couple of White Tailed Eagle, several Hobby, Osprey and a single Honey Buzzard.

No complaints all in all though, a pretty enjoyable day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Focus On...Taiga And Tundra Bean Geese

How To Be A Rarity Finder

The Irish Rare Birds Committee...The end of days?